What is a Transfer Station?
A transfer station is a building or processing site for the temporary deposition of waste. Transfer stations are often used as places where local waste collection vehicles will deposit their waste cargo prior to loading into larger vehicles.
Fees & Materials Accepted
- Residents can dispose of household trash and miscellaneous metal for $0.13 per pound (effective April 1, 2023) at the Transfer Station. Proof of residency is required.
- All residents disposing of trash or miscellaneous metal are required to have their own hard hat and safety vest.
- Credit cards or debit cards are the only form of payment accepted.
- The following can be disposed of for a $50 fee:
- Televisions, Computer Monitors, Appliances, Furniture, Tires and Other Miscellaneous Bulky Items
- Items accepted Free of Charge include:
- Mercury bearing products (fluorescent lights, thermostats, thermometers, etc.), button batteries, rechargeable batteries, empty propane tanks and American Flags. Alkaline batteries can go in regular trash.
- Condo and apartment residents without curbside pickup can bring their RECYCLING to the Transfer Station Monday through Saturday from 7 am to 4 pm (Users must enter by 3:45 pm).
- No construction and demolition materials, masonry debris, stumps, sweepings or excavated materials will be accepted.
Our Transfer Station has a Universal Waste Shed which accepts mercury-bearing products, such as thermometers, thermostats, fluorescent light bulbs, switches, etc. The Transfer Station also accepts button batteries, rechargeable batteries, empty propane tanks and American Flags. (Alkaline batteries can go in regular trash.) Residents may bring these items during regular business hours 7 am to 4 pm (Users must enter by 3:45 pm).
Yard waste is accepted Monday through Saturday from 7 am to 4 pm. Users must enter by 3:45 pm.
For brush/yard waste drop off (valid for the calendar year) you must purchase:
- Residents or Property Owners with a passenger plate: $15 sticker
- Residents with commercial plate: up to four $10 single use passes
Sticker/pass may be purchased at the Clerk's Office in Town Hall, at the Business Division at 2 Burroughs Street (cash, check or credit card) or online (check or credit card). You must provide proof of Danvers' residency or ownership including your driver's license and vehicle registration or tax bill, respectively.
Stickers for yard waste drop off at the Danvers Transfer Station can now be purchased online. You may choose to pay for your yard waste sticker (Danvers resident with passenger vehicle - $15 a year) online with electronic check, credit or debit card. Your sticker will then be sent to you in the mail. Visit the Permits and Payments page and follow the prompts.
Yard Waste Drop Off Requirements
- Stickers are to be affixed on the driver's side of the car close to the front. Passes must be turned in to Transfer Station.
- Acceptable vehicles (one per household) shall be automobiles or pick up trucks - no dump trucks, dump trailers or dual axle trailers.
- Yard waste shall come from residence shown on driver's license and registration or tax bill.
- Absolutely no yard waste will be accepted originating from outside the Town of Danvers.
- Brush will be accepted up to 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter.
- Brush must be separated from leaves/grass clippings.
Transfer Station Service Policy
The Danvers Transfer Station has implemented a "Universal Precaution Policy" regarding Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). It is required that all customers/residents have their own PPE while on site. Residents will only be allowed entrance to the trash building if they bring their own PPE which includes a hard hat and safety vest. If a town resident has a small amount of material for disposal, the resident will be able to utilize the small dumpster provided at the scale entrance without PPE. This container is mainly used for a bag or two and not for yards of material.
Residents who do not have the proper PPE will be turned away for their safety. The Covanta Scale House has posted signs at the entrance to inform patrons, and is communicating this to anyone who visits the site.
This PPE is not required for the yard waste disposal area.