I feel like I have a much better grasp of each department of the town, its culture, management style, triumphs, and challenges than I did prior to the program. ~ Citizen Academy Graduate 2019 Class
About the Academy
Join your neighbors as part of the Town's Citizens Academy, a 10-week, up close view of local government. Participants will take a deep dive into all aspects of their Town government through a variety of classes and interactive activities. Participants will explore the following departments: Town Government overview, Finance and Budgeting, Fire, School, Department of Public Works (DPW), Recreation, Library, Planning, Economic Development, Inspectional Services, Police, Senior Center, Veterans, Public Health, IT, Electric, and Engineering.
Weekly sessions on Thursday evenings at various locations around the Town of Danvers from 6: 8:30 pm Graduation occurs after the final week at a Select Board meeting (typically on a Tuesday).
- September 14: Town Government Overview
- September 21: Finance and Budgeting
- September 28: Fire Department
- October 5: DPW: Part I
- October 12: Planning, Economic Development and Inspectional Services
- October 19: Recreation and Library
- October 26: Police Department
- November 2: Senior Center, Veterans and Public Health
- November 9: IT and Electric
- November 16: School Department
- November 21 (Tuesday): Graduation
A light dinner and refreshments will be served during each night of the program.
- Must be a current resident of Danvers
- Must be 16 years of age by July 1, 2023
- Preference may be given to registered voters
- Must be willing to sign a liability waiver (we plan to have fun!)
- Consideration will be given to applicants who work but don't live in Danvers
Registration - Now Available! DEADLINE EXTEND TO AUGUST 31
To register, please complete the 2023 Citizens Academy Application (PDF) and return to Jen Breaker, Assistant Town Manager, by August 31. Forms can be emailed Jen Breaker, drop off at Town Hall in the Town Managers office or the white drop box, or mailed (1 Sylvan Street). Late applications may not be accepted.
While you participate in the Town of Danvers Citizens Academy, you will have the option for your children ages 4-12 to participate in the Little Citizens Activity Program located at the Great Oak School. Danvers Recreation staff will lead a fun evening of age appropriate activities for your children. Activities may include: small group games, arts and crafts, board games, age appropriate G rated videos and much more. Water will be provided, but please make sure your child eats before the program as food will not be served. Registration is required and limited to those whose parents are participating in the Citizens Academy. Drop-ins are not allowed. Registration information is available in the Citizens Academy application.
For additional information or if you have questions about the Academy please email Jen Breaker, Assistant Town Manager.