Welcome to the Water & Sewer Division.
The Water/Sewer Superintendent oversees the distribution and treatment of water for 9,380 service connections. The Water Division treats approximately 1.176 billion gallons of water per year, operates a state certified laboratory for water bacterial analysis and provides compliance for the Safe Drinking Water Act, maintains 181.05 miles of distribution main from 2 inch to 24-inch diameter, 1,388 hydrants, and provides dig-safe markings for about 1200 calls per year.
The Sewer Division maintains over 108 miles of gravity sewer and 3.90 miles of force main, approximately 7,416 house connections, and 113 sewer easements. They also operate and maintain 17 sewer pump stations.
Effective May 23rd, 2022 Danvers is currently at:
Level 3 - Seasonal Conditions
- Outdoor lawn and garden watering is allowed Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday only between 7:00 PM - 8:00 AM. Hand watering is allowed all days.
- The Town of Danvers will move back to Level 1 - Normal Winter Conditions with no restrictions from October 1 - April 30
Outdoor Water Restriction Description of Levels (May 1 - Oct 1)
Outdoor water restrictions were instituted when the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) mandated regulations as part of the Water Management Act, due to growing concerns of highly stressed river basins. Danvers is one of several communities in the Ipswich River basin, which is a stressed water basin that prompted these new regulations. DEP regulations include a summer cap, which runs from May 1 through October 1, restricting Town use to 3.8 million gallons per day (mgd). Conserving water proactively will reduce the need for the Town to implement more stringent restrictions later. The small changes you make can make a big difference!
- Level 1 - Normal Conditions, no restrictions.
- Level 2 – On May 1, the Town of Danvers moves to a Level 2 - Seasonal Conditions of our Outdoor Water Use Restrictions policy. This means Outdoor Lawn and Garden Watering is allowed between the hours of 7:00 PM & 8:00 AM ONLY. Car washing is also allowed.
- Level 3 - The Town of Danvers will shift outdoor water restrictions to Level 3 due to low flow in the Ipswich River. Level 3 drought conditions allow outdoor lawn & garden watering with sprinklers and/or irrigation systems on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday ONLY, from 7:00PM to 8:00AM the next day. Hand watering (hand-held hoses with nozzles and watering cans) is allowed anytime. Car washing is also allowed.
- Level 4 - When the Town of Danvers increases outdoor water use restrictions to Level 4 drought conditions, this means outdoor watering with sprinklers and/or irrigation systems is allowed on Tuesday and Saturday ONLY from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Hand watering (hand-held hoses with nozzles and watering cans) is allowed anytime. Car washing is also allowed.
- Level 5 – When the Town of Danvers moves to Level 5 drought conditions, this means that outdoor lawn & garden watering is restricted to hand-held hoses and cans ONLY, from 7:00 PM to 8:00 AM. No sprinklers or irrigation systems will be allowed. In addition, the filling of swimming pools and washing of cars are NOT permitted.
- Level 6 – If the Town of Danvers moves to Level 6 DROUGHT CONDITIONS, this means NO OUTDOOR WATER USE IS ALLOWED AT ANY TIME. No sprinklers, irrigation systems, or hand watering with hoses or cans will be allowed. In addition, the filling of swimming pools and washing of cars are NOT permitted.
Other Outdoor Restriction Information:
- Please reference our Be Green page for both water saving measures and water product rebates. Be Green
- For landscaping ideas, please see our Greenscapes landscaping Guidelines - Greenscapes Guide
- If a customer is in violation of the Outdoor Watering Restriction level in place, a warning will be issued by the Water & Sewer Division. If a second violation is observed after a seven-day period, a fine of $300 may be issued to the account holder.
If you have any questions, please call the Water & Sewer Supervisor at (978) 762-0235