HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DROP OFF PLANNED – New Safety Protocols in Place due to Coronavirus
Danvers, MA – It happens only once a year…Household Hazardous Waste Day! The Town of Danvers will conduct a collection on Saturday, September 26 from 8:00 AM to noon at the Danvers Transfer Station on East Coast Road off Route 1 South. Clean Harbors has been selected as the Town’s contractor. This is NOT a curbside collection – you must bring your materials to the Transfer Station. It’s as simple as popping your trunk.
Due to the pandemic, this HHW drop off will take place with several safety protocols in place.
PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED:
- Danvers residents must register for one time slot. Online registration will be broken into half hour slots and you must include information on the vehicle you will be driving for contact free check in.
- Time slots for this event are limited. We encourage residents with small amounts of HHW to coordinate with their neighbors.
- This event is open to residents of reciprocal household hazardous waste communities for a fee. Non-residents must preregister during the 11:30am-noon time slot. A list of reciprocal community HHW events open to Danvers residents will be posted on the Danvers DPW page of the Town website.
- To register for this event, please go to https://danversdpw.yapsody.com/event/index/594746/danvers-household-hazardous-waste-day
ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST FOLLOW SAFETY PROTOCOLS:
- Face masks must be worn at all times.
- You must remain in your vehicle at all times. Any resident who attempts to or exits a vehicle will be asked to leave.
- HHW will ONLY be accepted from pickup truck bed, back of SUV or van, or trunk of car for contact free drop off.
- HHW can NOT be handed off from resident to Clean Harbors.
- HHW will NOT be removed from passenger seat area of vehicle.
- No containers will be returned – this includes, but is not limited to, gas containers and storage totes.
- Participants will only be allowed entry to the event one time.
This collection is FREE for Danvers residents only, and identification is required. Non-residents must preregister and there is a charge. Non-residents must contact [email protected] for fees and payment details. No commercial waste will be accepted. Commercial vehicles will be turned away.
We will accept fertilizers, pesticides, pool chemicals, art supplies, photography chemicals, antifreeze, waste oil (up to 5 gallons), gasoline, household cleaners, drain cleaner, oil-based paints and stains. (For a complete list of household hazardous wastes accepted, please refer to the Town website at https://danvers-ma.proudcity.com/and go to Events or the Public Works page).
We will NOT take propane tanks, NiCad or Lithium batteries or fluorescent bulbs on this day as they can be brought to the Transfer Station during regular business hours. Alkaline batteries A-D can be disposed of in your regular trash. We will NOT collect electronics because they are picked up curbside with bulk item stickers.
REMEMBER: NO LATEX PAINT WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THIS EVENT. Latex paint can be dried out (add kitty litter or paint hardener) and placed with the lid off in an open bag with your curbside trash or discarded at the Transfer Station during regular business hours. We are asking residents to be particularly diligent when it comes to paint. Only oil-based paint will be collected on this day.
Please note that the Transfer Station will be CLOSED during this event.
There will be three check points during this drop off event. The first check point is at the entrance for check in during your preregistered time slot. YOU MUST BE PREREGISTERD TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS EVENT. Your license plate number will be used for contactless check in.
Proceed up the hill to the next check point at the rear of the Transfer Station close to the drop off location. Clean Harbors staff will direct you to stop your vehicle and they will open the back of your vehicle where your HHW is stored to evaluate the amount of hazardous waste you have. This is how Clean Harbors calculates the cost to the Town. DO NOT EXIT YOUR VEHICLE.
You will then be directed to Clean Harbors’ staff where they will take your items out of the back of your vehicle. Please remain in your vehicle during this process. When drop off is complete, slowly proceed down the hill, around the building and exit the Transfer Station. If you have questions, please contact the DPW at 978-777-0001 x3011.