Why is the flag at Town Hall at half-staff?
The Town lowers the Town Hall flag upon a state or federal order to honor the life, service, and contributions of a deceased person or persons.
The American Flag will be lowered to Half-Staff when ordered by the President of The United States or the Governor of Massachusetts, and on the following scheduled dates:
- Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15th (sunrise until sunset)
- Memorial Day, last Monday in May (sunrise until NOON)
- Patriot Day, September 11 (sunrise until sunset)
- Korean War Veterans Armistice Day (sunrise until sunset)
- National Firefighters Memorial Day (sunrise until sunset)
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7th (sunrise to sunset)
Active orders to lower the flag will be displayed here:
(Refresh the page to update the above widget.)
For more information about the current flag status and Flag Protocol in the state of Massachusetts, visit mass.gov.
Is there a correct way to display the American Flag?
Public Law 94-344, known as the Federal Flag Code, contains rules for handling and displaying the U.S. flag. While the federal code contains no penalties for misusing the flag, states have their own flag codes and may impose penalties. The language of the federal code makes clear that the flag is a living symbol. Read the Federal Guidelines for Display of the Flag or check out this visual guide on Flag Etiquette.