For the most up-to-date information on the Coronavirus please click here.

Town offices will be open by appointment only through 01/24.  To make an appointment, please call 978-777-0001.

I no longer own this vehicle. Do I still have to pay the bill?

State Law requires you to pay your excise tax bill then file an abatement at a later time to avoid late fees, penalties and interest.  If you no longer own the vehicle and the registration was cancelled or transferred to another vehicle, you may file for an abatement.  If the vehicle was sold, traded-in, donated, junked, gifted or repossessed, a copy of the bill of sale, donation/junkyard receipt, or lien holder notice is required to file an application for abatement.  If the vehicle was stolen or involved in an automobile accident and your insurance company considered it a total loss, a copy of the settlement letter is required to file an application for abatement.

Close window