For the most up-to-date information on the Coronavirus please click here.

FAQ Topic: Property & Housing

Can I purchase a recycling bin from the Town?

Residents can purchase 22 gallon recycling bins ($5) and 32 gallon wheeled recycling carts with covers ($40) at the DPW Garage at 95 Hobart Street from 7:00 am – 2:45 pm (pay by Check Only made out to the Town of Danvers). Please call 978-762-0231 with any questions and to check availability. Any durable, reusable … Continued

Does the Town provide plot plans?

The Town does not provide plot plans.  Plot plans are usually drawn when a home is being financed to be sure the structures conform to zoning.  An addition/structure that has been built/added to the property without the necessary permits may be in violation of zoning setbacks.

How long does it take to get a building permit?

If the application is complete and all prerequisite approvals have been obtained, no more than 30 days. The nature of the work proposed will impact the length of time to process the application.   This will vary based upon the level of permit activity, which fluctuates seasonally.  Please call the office to check status 978-777-0001 x3061 … Continued

Who can apply for a building permit?

A property owner, or the owner’s duly authorize agent may apply for a building permit.   To nominate an agent an owner must sign a writing that identifies the property, the owner and the agent. Contractors remain responsibilities pursuant to G.L. c 142 A even when the property owner or agent apply for the building permit.

What is an “ordinary repair”?

An ordinary repair is any maintenance that  does not affect the structure, egress, fire protection systems, fire ratings, energy conservation, plumbing, sanitary, gas, electrical or other utilities.  

When do I need to get a building permit?

A building permit is required to: construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, remove or demolish a building or structure; change the use or occupancy of a building or structure; or install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated by the State Building Code. Certain accessory structures, fences 6 … Continued

What items can be recycled curbside?

Danvers has dual stream recycling: Containers can be comingled: glass bottles & jars, metal cans & foil, & plastic containers may be put together in one recycling bin. Paper including newspaper, magazines, paperboard, etc. may be bagged in paper, tied or put in a separate recycling bin. Cardboard must be cut, flattened to 4’x 4’ … Continued

How do I obtain a building permit?

Prior to applying for a building permit you should contact the Code Administration Department to determine if you will need any additional permits or approvals and to verify the application fee. You can complete the building permit application online or in person at the Code Administration office in Town Hall.    

Close window